One of the best cleansers for vinyl flooring is apple cider vinegar. The acidity in the vinegar helps remove dirt and grime without leaving a buildup of soap or wax. Simply mix one cup of cider vinegar with a gallon of hot water and use a damp mop to clean, rinsing the mop frequently with hot water. Substitute white vinegar for cider vinegar if you want to disinfect as you clean. If your floor is especially dirty, try adding a few drops of liquid dishwashing soap to the mixture before mopping once with the soap mixture, a second time with vinegar and water. To add shine to your vinyl floor, add a few drops of baby oil to the vinegar and water solution.
bottle of Heinz apple cider vinegar• For stubborn scuffs, try putting some WD-40 lubricant or jojoba oil on a towel and rub the area until the scuffs disappear. Clean thoroughly with the vinegar and water solution to remove any traces of lubrication.
• For food stains from grape juice, mustard, ketchup, tomato sauce and the like, make a paste of baking soda and water and gently rub the stain until it disappears. Clean thoroughly to remove any traces of baking soda.
• A soft, nylon-bristle brush can help remove many types of stains, especially when used with common household solvents. Rubbing alcohol can be used to remove lipstick, hair dye, and ink stains. Use mineral spirits to remove crayon, paint, and marker stains. Use a nail polish remover that contains acetone to remove nail polish stains.
There are a few areas of caution and products to avoid when it comes to cleaning vinyl flooring
• When vacuuming vinyl, do not use a “beater bar” attachment; this can damage the flooring surface.
• Never use highly-abrasive scrubbers or steel wool.
• Do not use detergents, abrasive cleaners, or “mop and shine” products, because these can leave a dull film on the floor.
• Do not use paste wax or solvent-based polishes.
• Do not use ammonia or ammonia-based cleaning solutions on vinyl flooring; these can break down the material and cause cracks in the flooring.
Some commercial cleaners are specially designed for vinyl floors. These include Pine-Sol Multi-Surface Cleaner; Pledge Tile & Vinyl Floor Cleaner and Pledge Tile & Vinyl Floor Finish with Future Shine; and Armstrong’s Once ‘n Done Resilient and Ceramic No-Rinse Floor Cleaner and Armstrong Shinekeeper Polish.
With just a little time and elbow grease, vinyl flooring will take years of use and abuse and still look lovely.
Need cleaning tips for carpet? Check this website?
HEMPHILL’S RUGS & CARPETS – Featuring vinyl LVT floors, carpet, area rugs, wood floors, sisal, seagrass, abaca, jute, custom rugs, specialty flooring. Serving all of Southern California including Orange County and Los Angeles